Sunday, January 30, 2011

72 hours and 37 minutes

January 28, 2011

In 72 hours and 37 minutes I'll be taking off for Paris! I still can't wrap my head around that. I have my travel plans. I've started packing. We're signing 'Bye-bye book' (basically the MTC version of yearbooks.) But it seems so dang surreal that this is actually happening! Pretty sure I couldn't be more excited and more nervous at the same time ha ha.

Despite all the excitement, this week, like almost every week, has had it's hard moments. But as Elder Bednar said at a fireside a couple years ago here, "You will encounter opposition because the message is true. If it weren't, the adversary would not fight against it." Pretty sure, we've all gained a pretty strong testimony of that. As I've said a thousand times before, my district has completely become my family. I love them. So it's heartbreaking to see them go through struggles in their lives. On top of that, I epically fail at goodbyes. So when we lost one of our elders this week...it was rough. But on the good side, we seem to have come out of that experience fighting. (He made us promise we would.) Seeing him off yesterday morning was hard, but it's a good thing. He's absolutely doing the right thing with his life now, and I couldn't be more proud of him AND he promised he'll be coming back as soon as he can. =) So, hard though it may have been, it's going to be a good thing in the end.

We just got back from our last session at the Provo temple. Cool experience I have to tell you about that kind of caught me off guard. When I was in the Celestial room, I didn't want to leave. At first I thought I was just savoring the moment knowing that I'm going to miss going to the temple for the next 16 months, but it was different than that. So I sat for a bit trying to figure out what I was feeling. Ever want to know the truthfulness behind the title "The House of the Lord?" I realized I felt like I was at "home." And I was with my "parents." And just as it was difficult to leave my home in Taylorsville along with leaving my family, I was feeling the exact same. I realized we're not alone just because we aren't in the temple, but it's different. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain, but it was really cool to me at the time. =)

Our meeting with Romain Sermain was pretty sweet. The room was packed with people. and he and his wife were just awesome. Definitely not an experience that anyone of us will be forgetting anytime soon.

I know there was one other thing I wanted to tell you and I can't think of it. Don't you hate that?! How crazy is it that my next email will be coming from France?! But until then, love you!

Kim